Monday, 11 February 2013

Talking to Myself!


I've had a bit of a turnaround in the past few weeks and have been having some serious thoughts about my photography.  I think it's fair to say that since 1st year I don't feel I've done that well at making good images - I was pleased with the ones I showed in the 2nd and 3rd year exhibitions, but other than those, I feel there were few other good ones.  

And it seemed the harder I tried, the worse I got - it was incredibly disheartening and frustrating!  I think what happened is I managed to take a couple of good ones and then tried to replicate them - I became fixated on trying to take the same type of image again rather than just open my eyes to what was around me, to be open to seeing other possibilities.  Actually, I think that's been much of my problem this whole year so far; I've been like a rabbit caught in the headlights of the on-coming degree show and been too afraid to let go and enjoy it.

Thankfully, with self-awareness comes self-reprimand!  I took a day away from the city, drove up to Dundee (still have a bit of my heart in that city), had lunch with an inspiring friend, had dinner with P and spent the whole drive back giving myself a good talking!!  Things have been much better since then, and the creative juices have started to flow again - maybe I'm just a late starter?!

One of my new images - not a bit of concrete in sight! Well, with the
exception of a bit of a motorway that is!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment