Sunday, 9 October 2011

Video Art

Whenever I've talked about starting 3rd year, and in particular the 1st term, I've always said that I'm really not that interested in video, or making video art.  I certainly enjoy going to the cinema and my appreciation of cinematography has increased as I have learned more about art and photography, but I've never really fancied trying my hand at making a video art.

So it came as a bit of a surprise to realise that in recent years, every time I've gone to a contemporary art exhibition, the thing I've enjoyed the most, seems to have been the video piece!  So here's a quick run down of the ones which had the most impact on me (in no particular order):

Sam Taylor-Wood - "Brontosaurus"

Will I ever stop talking about this?! Just last night I showed it to my American friend Z, who immediately associated it to the New York gay scene with which she is more familiar than me - obviously!  This then sparked a discussion about drag queens and feminism - so many layers to this piece of work!!

Willie Doherty - "Ghost Story"

An unending walk and a haunting script, I thought this was a really intense piece of work.

Pipilotti Rist - "Sip My Ocean"

This is the only Pipilotti Rist piece I've seen in real life and the scale and colours were just so mesmerising.

Duncan Campbell - "Bernadette"

Old enough to know of Bernadette Devlin, but not to actually remember that much about her, Campbell's film is a documentary meets fiction portrait of the young, Irish dissident and political activist.

Elizabeth Price - "User Group Disco"

Fantastic imagery and an excellent, specially commissioned sound track made this a really powerful piece for me.

Johan Grimonprez - "Dial H-I-S-T-O-R-Y"

Definitely one of the best films I've seen.  Again it's sound track added to the power of the images about hijacking of airplanes - a must see.

Christain Marclay - "The Clock"

Although you know that it's a serious of film clips, it's so cleverly put together that you are really drawn into it and I found myself wanting to know what happens next! Wish I could have seen more of this.

Paul McCarthy - "cisuM fo dnuoS ehT/The Sound of Music"

It's quite disconcerting, but at the same time strangely addictive to watch such a family favourite upside down and played backwards.  Hard to stop watching!

Artur Zmijewski - "80064"

This one has stuck with me mainly because I was really unhappy with the contents - a definite question of ethics in art.

And a couple others:

Nina Fischer and Maroan el Sani - "Tokyo Metropolitan Expressway"
Douglas Gordon - "24 Hour Psycho" and "To and Fro"

and a couple I can't remember the names or artists of! One is a double projection one side of which is a man running towards you and the other is the view of him running away from you - is this another Douglas Gordon? And the other I saw at Tramway a couple of years ago and I've lost the name of the artist: it was a haunting black and white film based on the death of an actor from Aids and included words from a poem by Rainer Maria Rilke.  I  anyone reads this and can help me identify these 2 films, I'd be extremely grateful!

3 comments:

Lesley Punton said...

Hi MJ, I think the work where there are two screens, one where there's a man running towards you and one running away, is another Willie Doherty piece called re-run. Might be wrong though.

I didn't see the Tramway show you mention, I don't think.

M-J Archibald said...

That's brilliant Lesley, yes it was - it must have been on at his 'Buried' show at the Fruitmarket along with 'Ghost Story'. That was really annoying me, thank you!

As for the other one, I'm mad at myself for not writing it down - I wrote the words down, but not the artist! I know I kept the leaflet for my 1st year sketchbook, but it, like much of my life is in storage!! I actually think it was part of a bigger festival, but can't think what!

M-J Archibald said...

Turns out I did write it down Lesley, right here in my blog!! It was at the GI festival last year and it was Leslie Thornton. Organisation rocks, but only if you remember where you filed it!!! :)

Post a Comment