Monday, 17 October 2011

Laurie Anderson

I'm finding it quite difficult to research video art; it's not that I can't find it, it's that there's so much of it -I'm finding it quite hard to find things I'm interested in or that I feel are relevant.

I am however, really enjoying discovering more about Laurie Anderson. Until now, I only knew her from her 1981 hit 'O Superman' which I loved at the time (was reminded of it recently as it was used in the Louise Bourgeois film: "The Spider, The Mistress and The Tangerine"), but I think some of her work is really interesting - she's such an excellent story teller.  I think the thing I'm most drawn to in a lot of her work, is that the soundtrack doesn't always match what we see - her voice is often distorted in some way.



I'm particularly interested in making a piece of film which either has an 'opposite' or unexpected soundtrack and it's this which I'm finding hard to find.  Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Lesley Punton said...

I can give you copies of Big Science, Bright Red & United States Live (a long one with a lot of talking!).

I need to think about your other question, though I think you're better thinking of unexpected sound rather than "opposite" (which could be a bit predictable once you "get" the opposition). Mark Wallanger's "threshold to the kingdom" was I think a brilliant use of music (I think I mentioned it to you when paul was looking for music).

M-J Archibald said...

That would be great Lesley, thank you.

I do mean more unexpected than opposite, although I do have an idea that kind of falls into that bracket - just have to watch that it doesn't become a cliche. I seem to be drawn to videos that have really strong soundtracks (music or text) but other than the ones I've already seen, I don't know where to look for them. The piece you mentioned is excellent - that's exactly what I seem to like - even from the bad video that's online. You definitely started something with 'Brontosaurus'!

Post a Comment