Sunday, 30 October 2011

Follow the Rules!

I've been pretty stuck with research for this video project, but I had a really good tutorial with M last week (I think he's an astute guy, with lots of good energy) and as he put it, I need to stop researching and just shoot some 'stuff'!

I think part of my problem is that I'm so aware of my own pressures of time, that I have an idea of what I want to do and therefore only work towards that particular outcome; of course, the down side to that is that you miss other opportunities on the way - like so many other parts of life.  Research is something that's easy for me, I can do it after a day's training, I can do it on the train to work etc, much easier than getting out with the camera (it always seems to be raining!!)

So I realised that I've fallen foul of some more of Mr Cage's rules, nos. 7 and 8 to be precise:

RULE SEVEN: The only rule is work.  If you work it will lead to something.  It's the people who do all of the work all of the time who eventually catch on to things.

RULE EIGHT: Don't try to create and analyze at the same time.  They're different processes.

Wise man that Mr Cage!!

1 comments:

Ross Finnie said...

Research is a funny old thing eh. One of the things that I personally find very liberating is that here, you don't have to show any evidence of idea generation or research, it's just the final work that counts. For me, this is great, my research basically involves diving into the art library on any given spare hour or two and just digging through whatever books take my fancy - it's actually a lot more pleasant than having to document rigorously as at GSA. Unfortunately however, I guess a lot of my classmates just don't bother, hence finding yourself in crits with people who have no idea who even "big names" like Crewdson, Weston or Shore are.

Post a Comment