Saturday, 8 October 2011

This Blog is Cancelled ...

... due to brain overload!!  At least that's what it felt like by the end of Thursday last week; thought I'd finally discovered the limit to which my mind could be stretched!

Continuing to follow Mr Cage's advice ("Come or go to everything.  Always go to classes.") I decided to go to the Design lecture first thing and the Learning Support session last thing; the lecture was interesting and I'm glad I went, the support session was great and extremely useful.  I've done ok with my essays so far, but we're on the lead up to dissertation year and I figure I should take all the help I can get in preparation for it!

It was the bit in-between that did the serious stretching!  The guest speaker was Ron Broglio from Arizona State University, discussing "Art, Ethics and the Animal Other".  It was a really interesting lecture, and one that I hadn't really thought about given that I prefer not to have anything with a heartbeat in my images!  He talked about which side of the fence you are regarding the use of animals in art, about what are the limits, and who gets to decide.  He presented several examples of art involving animals - some acceptable, some not acceptable (to my measure of 'ethical') and certainly raised a lot of interesting points and questions which were then carried over into the workshop straight after.

I was a wee bit worried about this workshop as it was being led by a tutor who can sometimes go over my head, but he was great.   In our small group we discussed whether there were any ethical questions which arose from our own individual practice, and whether our work responds to any ethical, social, political, etc issues.  We also discussed whether we passively reflect a situation or actively create one; we generally felt that none of us were far enough into our practices to be able to consciously make that choice, but it was certainly lots of food for thought.  We continued to discuss the question of ethics for example, is it that your work is ethical, or does your work question the ethics of others, and is art the space outside ethics?  Considering the work of Marco Evaristti we discussed where the line is between art and ethics/legality; if it's within a gallery space, is the artist above the law or above society?  Bearing in mind the principle of 'cause and consequence', if for every piece of art there is a consequence, is the artist to be held responsible and/or accountable?

Anyway, you get the general idea - big topic, lots of really interesting discussion, limited time to process it before on to the next session!

I came to GSA to become a different person - by the end of this 3rd year, I'm going to be unrecognisable, even to myself!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment