Monday, 3 October 2011

And so it begins!

3rd year that is!  I can't believe how quickly time has flown - but then I was warned that it would go by in a flash!

I was a little worried about this year; was expecting one tutor and with very short notice, this was changed to another.  Needless to say this was a little unsettling - not because one was better than the other, but that I knew a little more about what to expect with the tutor from last year.  So this year we have M, and if things continue as they have started, we are in for an interesting and dynamic year.  I like his enthusiasm and apparent commitment to us and to the course;  I'm really looking forward to working with him.

Our year group has changed of course - some have gone on exchange, some have joined us on exchange - but it is as great a bunch as ever.  It's so good to be back among them again.  This morning we had short presentations of our work and I was really interested in some of the work by the new students.

One in particular combined new photography with traditional processes  - cyanotype and van dyke - which I thought was very exciting.  M is planning to run alternative processes this year and hopefully they will go ahead as planned (I was very disappointed that they were cancelled last year).  Being interested in the 'craft' of making photographs, I would really love to be able to do something like this (must find a link to his stuff if I can!).  I thought it was particularly interesting in light of P being at GSA in the last few years and getting the feedback that his work, and his interest in the older black and white photographers, was too 'nostalgic'.  A's work proves that you can still create contemporary work whilst embracing traditional techniques, thus avoiding such criticism.


0 comments:

Post a Comment