Sunday, 25 September 2011

Quick Summary - Part 2

So, this summer I tried to follow John Cage's 'Hints' at the end of his 'Rules' that L sent me:
HINTS: Always be around.  Come or go to everything.  Always go to classes.  Read anything you can get your hands on.  Look at movies carefully, often.  Save everything - it might come in handy later.
Not easy considering that I've also tried to work as much as possible during the break, but here are some of my highlights from the seeing part:
  • David Mach at the CAC - didn't manage to get round all of it in my first visit so will be going back, but first reaction - astonishing!  I've always liked his 'Big Heids' on the M8, but seeing his 'Golgotha' up close (and I mean really close!) was breathtaking:

  • Ingrid Calame at The Fruitmarket - beautiful!  Was quite surprised how really lovely her work was - went twice!
  • Martin Creed - Work No. 1059 - very beautiful on the wet day I walked down them, but if you know Edinburgh, you know marble cladding isn't going to change what happens on them!!! :)
  • FutureProof 2011, Street Level - seemed to be a wider range of universities this year, but 5 out of 19 were from GSA, so well done to them.
  • Narcissus Reflected at The Fruitmarket - just loved the Pipilotti Rist film 'Sip My Ocean'.  Sat through it several times although it took a couple of times to control my giggles at some of the singing! Glorious colours and the way it was projected over the corners of the room really pulled you into it.
  • The British Art Show 7 - think I'll post something on that separately.
  • Hiroshi Sugimoto - took the opportunity to hear him speak at the National Gallery, but while he was very interesting and it was great to get to see him, I would have liked to hear more about his photography and less about his architecture and collecting.  Did get his autograph in my sketchbook though - told him I was a student and couldn't afford one of his books!!

    Went to see his 'Lightning Fields' at Modern 2 (?!) and although it was good to see them, again I would have preferred to see a retrospective of his work.
There were a few more at Glasgow Print Studio, Still, St Margaret's Art Complex, the French Institute and the GSA but those were my highlights!

Oh, and I went to an etching course at the Print Studio - really enjoyed it!  Think I prefer the screenprinting though.  :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment