Sunday, 17 July 2011

Work/Life/Study Balance



Or how to work and still be a full-time student! Damned if I know!!!

That was the other feedback I had at the end of 2nd year - I work too much! Actually, it's not that I work too much, it's probably that I don't study enough! Actually, it's not that either!! What happens is that I work, I'm both physically and mentally exhausted at the end of the day or the week, and don't have the energy to go out and make photographs. Or, come the weekend I have normal everyday things to catch up on, or, it's raining!! This invariably means that I find it much easier to study and do research (which I got good marks for) but have very little photographic work.

TJC's advice was to work more through 3rd year in order to not have to work during 4th year. Understandable advice, (although I don't want to miss 3rd year) but I have to be realistic - I want a good degree, but when this is over, I'm more than likely to still be a trainer. My aim is to help other artists build their own businesses, and that's not going to happen if I've let my own business go. It's taken me 11 years to build my business and a year out will leave me starting again - not an option at my age.

So, if anyone reading this has any ideas about how I can balance all these bits of my life, I'd be very happy to hear it - and yes, I'm already doing the Lottery, just in case!!! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment