Monday, 18 July 2011

Gina Glover

Went to hear Gina Glover speak at Street Level this weekend and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I know that sounds a little bad, but I had looked at her website and although I really liked the content, I wasn't so sure about the style of her images.

At first it looks like they are all taken with a Holga, but turns out they are all pinhole photographs. Now I love my Holga, don't get me wrong, but there just seemed to be so many of them! But, I've taken my time, and really looked at her work, and with the exception of a few which are a bit dramatic for my taste, I really like it.








Although quite a lot of her earlier work was undertaken as artist in residence at various hospitals etc (www.artinhospitals.com), the title of the Street Level exhibition is 'Playgrounds of War' and started in the early '80s when she first visited the site of the Thor nuclear site in Harrington. She now lives opposite there and this work is about her memories of the land, and memory and its association with the way land is used (and its changes in use).

Needless to say, this really clicked for me! She particularly talked about photographing war, after the war has gone. My HNC project was going through my head when she said this - where I photographed the WW I & II coastal defenses which remain along the Forth, and then she brought up images of the very same ones!! I was really pleased and I'm more convince than ever that this is a project I should return to.

Control Tower, Dallachy, Morayshire

Pillbox, Estonia

Some of my own images from Lower Largo Beach in Fife and Cramond Island, Edinburgh:




I particularly liked the quote Gina used:

The sum of our pasts, generation laid over generation, like the slow mould of the seasons, forms the compost of our future. We live off it.
Simon Schama
I'm really glad that I went to see her, she was a very good speaker and a really nice lady to speak to afterwards. I felt very inspired when I left the gallery, something I hadn't expected!

I was even more pleased to discover some of her older work is obviously influenced by William Christenberry - a woman after my own heart!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment