Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Quotes

I've been searching for quotes that can maybe give me some inspiration or other avenues to look into this idea of silence as a presence, not as an absence and I heard one this morning in a song on the radio that I really liked:
I've never heard silence quite this loud
Reminded me that I've always liked the Manfred Man's Earth Band album title 'The Roaring Silence'. It had a close up picture of an ear, and inside the the ear was a mouth, opened in a scream.


But my favourite quote involving silence, is from Ansel Adams:
When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
If anyone reading this has any other quotes, please pass them on!


3 comments:

Lesley Punton said...

how strange. I'm reading the Sarah Maitland book just now too. Not sure what I think of it yet.

I'll keep an ear out for stuff on silence (if that's not completely bonkers!)

M-J Archibald said...

Thanks Lesley, sorry to take so long to respond - been off the radar a bit. I did think you might be reading the book - I asked Jim at my last tutorial. I've kind of stalled with it - maybe I've gotten all I need from it? Will see.

Any suggestions on where to take this silence stuff next are very welcome - kind of stalled with everything at the moment!!!

Lesley Punton said...

...I stalled with the book too. Read two thirds, skipped the chapter on religion, and thought she had a habit of stating the bleeding obvious or confusing solitude with silence. Given up now I'm afraid.

Post a Comment