Wednesday, 9 March 2011

International Women's Day

Today (8 March) is International Women's Day. Apparently it's the centenary celebration, but I have to admit, I didn't know that much about it until last week when I saw a blog post asking for women to knit squares for an art project to celebrate IWD.

International Women's Day

100 Million Stitches for 100 Million Women

T and I got together and knitted our squares (well, she knitted 2 to my 1 - she's a bit of a knitting machine! In fairness though, I was trying out her unusual techniques or I would have been quicker with mine!):


We then went down to Tramway to hand our contribution, and were greeted by the sight of lots women furiously sewing thousands of squares of knitting together!! Apparently the response to the request had been phenomenal! We arrived in time to see some of the squares laid out in what will be the 'art' version of the work; the rest will be made into smaller blankets and distributed around to world to various women's charities.



I know that it's a serious message that the IWD are trying to get across, but for me, it was just so reassuring to see so many women (and some men) still knitting! It's something my mother taught me when I was really little, and something my great aunt encouraged me to do too; all the women in my family always seemed to be knitting something! My first business in 1985 was knitwear design and although I very rarely get the time to sit down and knit nowadays, it's comforting to know that in this age of technology some of the lovely traditions still manage to continue. T and I really enjoyed our own wee 'stitch n bitch', as the Americans would say!!

The Wall of Fame




0 comments:

Post a Comment