Friday, 4 March 2011

Commuting!

I've mentioned before that I have two lives, and a very big part of my business life is commuting. I seriously dislike commuting!! Sometimes I travel by car, which stresses me out (and creates a surprising amount of road rage in me), but more often than not, my journey is on the Scotrail Shuttle service between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

On the whole, I can't complain too much about the service; it pretty consistent, especially as it's a major route. But why oh why can't we get quiet carriages like they have down south? Ones where all forms of communication via technology are banned!!!!!! Last night's train home was so noisy! The girl opposite me 'clicked' her way through almost the whole journey (55 mins usually, but 65 last night) sending endless texts, various iPods and MP3 players (including hers!) scratched out tinny, indecipherable tunes at levels that can't be good for your hearing, and various ridiculous ring tones announced calls and texts to passengers, arranging dinners, pick ups and dates!!!

And in order to escape from all this noise, what did I do? Yep, that's right, I had to put on my iPod!!! Generally, I don't play music though; I have several relaxation tracks to listen to, to help me avoid getting stressed by all this noise. When I do play music, it's usually Einaudi or something else equally soothing (and not loud!). Why can't people just be happy to sit, read their newspapers, watch the scenery go by?

But I must go now; there's someone a few seats away with the loudest text notification tone and it's starting to get to me, and the man opposite has just reached for his iPod! Now, where are my earphones?

1 comments:

Lesley Punton said...

try philosophy bites podcasts.

Post a Comment