Thursday, 8 April 2010

Donovan Wylie

For over a year Donovan Wylie photographed the system of watchtowers that the British army had built to survey the territories of Northern Ireland, and to observe the actions of the local people.



These high-tech towers, constructed in the mid 1980s, primarily in the mountainous border region of South Armagh, were landmarks in the thirty-year conflict in and over Northern Ireland. The towers were finally demolished between 2003 and 2007 as part of the British government’s demilitarization programme for Northern Ireland. (www.belfastexposed.org)

I know that what these towers represents is immense and most likely beyond my real comprehension, but there is something majestic and beautiful in their ugliness.

I've been working on other projects this year and have really missed taking photographs of the things that move me most - these images from Donovan Wylie do just that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where is that top picture from?

M-J Archibald said...

I don't know the exact location, I haven't seen the actual book. All I know is that the series is from tower "primarily in the mountainous border region of South Armagh". (www.belfastexposed.org)

If I find out, I'll let you know.

Post a Comment